I thought now’s a good time to provide an update on exploring my interests in Windows Deployment.
So, I started from the ground up with the WAIK and experimenting with unattended.xml and Sysyprep, with the intention to get a good foundation of the tools Microsoft Deployment Toolkit was built upon before moving onto MDT 2010. I spent a lot of time with building unattend.xml answer files using Windows SIM, Sysprep’ing computers, Windows PE, DISM and imagex,
Here are a few links to some of the posts I’ve written on the subject:
- Experimenting with Sysprep
- Building an Unattended Answer File for Windows 7
- Preparing and Sysprep’ing the Reference Computer
- Creating a Windows PE USB Drive with ImageX
- Capture a Windows 7 Image using ImageX
- Adding Drivers to a Windows 7 Image Offline
- Applying a Windows 7 .WIM Image Using ImageX
I recently installed MDT 2010 on an evaluation version of Windows Server 2008 R2 with a WDS role. (Of course that included installing and configuring Active Directory, DNS and DHCP server roles since they are pre-requisites to installing WDS).
I want to concentrate more on MDT 2010 than writing instructions from here on. I’ll update again with my progress with in due course.