Quick Fix: Office 2010 Activation Error (0x80070190)

OK, so this is the error message I got this morning when trying to activate Office 2010 Professional Plus on my Windows 8.1 computer.


It was easily fixed by launching Office as Administrator after which the activation went through smoothly. A quick fix indeed!




PS: This quick fix also works in Windows 7.



Quick Fix: MMC Has Detected An Error In A Snap-in And Will Unload It

I wrote a post only a few days ago how I combined a few MMC snap-ins in a console for easier access in one place. Well, today I started experiencing a problem where an error message such as the one produced below would randomly pop up while using the console.


A quick search on Google seemed to suggest this problem does not affect 32-bit snap-ins and so with that in mind I used a Run command to launch the console with 32-bit snap-ins. And sure enough 32-bit snap-ins works just fine and I haven’t seen that error pop up again. I then opted to create a shortcut on my desktop to launch the console instead.

Here’s what I used for the shortcut:

mmc.exe "%systemdrive%:\Users\%username%\Desktop\Server Management Console.msc" /32

It’s more a workaround than a fix but hey, it works!

Quick Fix: DHCP Server Role Fails To Install With Error Code 0x800706BE

I came across this problem while installing the DHCP server role on my Windows Server 2008 VM on my ESXi host. I was preoccupied with trying to fix this that the thought of writing about it didn’t come to mind hence I never took a screenshot of the error message. I can’t remember exactly what the error message said (something about RPC call having failed) but I do have the error code – 0x800706be.

I found a fix in a TechNet forum which I thought would be useful to post here for anyone who experiences the exact same problem. So here’s the fix:

  • Stop the wuauserv and Cryptsvc services (Windows Automatic Update Services and Cryptographic Services)
  • Delete the DataStore directory in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\
  • Rename C:\Windows\system32\catroot2 to catroot2.old
  • Restart the wuauserv and Cryptsvc services

Alternatively for a one-click fix simply copy the following commands in a batch file and run it on your server.

net stop wuauserv
net stop Cryptsvc
cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
rd /s /q DataStore
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start Cryptsvc

After a quick reboot you should find the DHCP server role installs just fine. Hope someone somewhere finds this useful. PS. I can only vouch that this fix will work if you had the error code while attempting to install the DHCP server role (which was what happened in my case). Having trawled through the various forums looking for this fix it seems other people have come across the same error code but in different situations.