SCCM Hotfix Stuck on “Prerequisite Check Passed”

Note: This process will also work if your 1606 update is stuck on “Prerequisite check passed”.

I had to fix a little problem before I could upgrade my SCCM CB to 1606 – the “Configuration Manager 1602 Hotfix (KB3155482)” update pack was stuck on “Prerequisite check passed” while the option to install the hotfix was greyed out. Annoyingly the 1606 update was also greyed out, so I couldn’t proceed without first dealing with the problematic hotfix.


I had a recent backup to fall back on but I opted to tackle the problem head on. Here’s how I done it…

  • I found the folder the update pack was downloaded into and made a note of the folder name (which had a random set of characters, referred to as the package guid)
  • Deleted the record of the package with the above guid from the SCCM database
  • Refreshed the view in the Update and Servicing node and restarted the SMS_EXECUTE service
  • The update pack was then downloaded again in the Update and Servicing node
  • I then proceeded with the installation as normal

Detailed instructions below:

In my case the Hotfix update pack was already downloaded which was located in a folder in the “SCCM Install Location\EasySetupPayload” directory:


The trick was to work out which folder this particular update pack was downloaded into – with only random characters for folder names I had to resort to comparing the created/modified date of the folder with the date the update was released in the Updates and Servicing node:


Once I was confident which folder the update pack was downloaded into I made a note of the name of the folder – I needed the random characters that made up the folder name, which we’ll refer to as the package guid from here on.

I then fired up the SQL Server Management Studio and ran the following query to delete the record for this particular package from my SCCM database:

DELETE FROM SCCM_Database_Name.dbo.CM_UpdatePackages
WHERE PackageGuid='59bca34e-df87-4041-b9b7-f53395849e81';


(Replace SCCM_Database_Name and the PackageGuid with your own details)

I then hit refresh on my SCCM console and the problematic hotfix update pack disappeared from view:


The next step was to restart the SMS_EXECUTE service and refresh the view again and, sure enough, the hotfix started to download again…


From thereon I just had to wait for the download to finish and proceeded to install the update as normal which was fast and quick as it should be.

(Thanks to Tom W Brisby over at the TechNet Forums for the tip)

Now then, time to upgrade to CB 1606!


15 thoughts on “SCCM Hotfix Stuck on “Prerequisite Check Passed”

  1. Please keep in mind what Richard (Microsoft) added to the TechNet thread: “PLEASE, DO NOT, DO NOT, AND DO NOT do this unless you know for sure what is going on.
    There are a few tables behind the scene. Without finding the root cause in your environment, and following this could get environment into a even worse state.”

  2. After restaring the server while a prerequisite check for Configuration Manager 1606 was running, the update was stuck on “checking prerequisites” status.

    This fixed it for me and the update became available again.

    Thank you.

  3. Although this is not ideal, if you do have to do it… There is an easier way to identify the correct row in the database. If you right click the column name in the console, you can add PackageGUID to the console view.

  4. I experienced a similar issue with the 1702 hotfix.
    It had downloaded and I had run pre-requisite checker on a live server.
    We then restored the whole system into a test-lab (same server names, Domain etc) but the downloaded content did not get migrated.
    I only realised after I had attempted to install, and the Hotfix was then left in a “Installing” state with no way of stopping or re-running.
    I used the CM_UpdatePackages to determine the Guid based on the update version and date stamp.
    I then removed from CM_UpdatePackages, CM_UpdatePackageDownloadProgress and CM_UpdatePackageInstallationStatus.

    I mention this process, as if you have to restore a failed site, you may have a similar problem with update content not being available.

  5. We have an issue, Primary site got upgraded successfuly. We have started the recovery for the secondary site and the it got stuck with prerequisite check passed status. we have checked there is not error in hman log.

    kindly suggest on how we can fix the secondary site issue. current status is Pending in console.

  6. Works well for me as well, was stuck with the 1810. Thanks !
    PS : to be sure to have to good GUID package, please check the row “Package GUID” in the “Updates and Servicing” pane.

  7. Thanks for this especially QQ who made finding the package guid much easier. Seems to have worked for me! Amazing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s